Bengaluru: A woman and her 9-month-old daughter were charred to death when she accidentally stepped on a live wire lying unattended on the footpath near the Hope Farm junction in Whitefield in the early hours of Sunday.
The deceased have been identified as Soundharya (23) and her daughter Suviksha, residents of AKG Colony under Kadugodi police limits.
According to reports, the incident took place around 6 am when Soundharya and her daughter were going to her mother’s house. It is being suspected that she might have assumed the electric wire to be a fibre-optic cable and stepped on it. The mother and the baby died immediately after the incident.
“Under Kadugodi police jurisdiction, a BESCOM wire was lying on the road. At 6 am, the mother and her daughter were electrocuted. An investigation has been initiated and relevant BESCOM officials and staff are being interrogated,” Whitefield DCP Shivakumar Gunare was quoted as saying by NDTV.