New Delhi: United States President Donald Trump has issued a strong warning to Iran over the Strait of Hormuz and Tehran’s enriched uranium stockpile, making it clear that Washington will not allow any move that threatens free passage through the strategic waterway.
Speaking at the Oval Office, Trump claimed that the United States now has complete control over the Strait of Hormuz due to its blockade. He said America wants the international waterway to remain free and will oppose any attempt by Iran to impose tolls on ships passing through the route. His remarks came after Iran’s IRGC Navy claimed that 31 ships had passed through the waterway in the last 24 hours.
Responding to a question on Iran’s proposal, Trump said the blockade had been fully effective and described it as an “iron wall”. He added that no one had been able to cross it and stressed that the United States does not want tolls in the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump also took a hard line on Iran’s enriched uranium. He said the United States would ensure that Tehran does not retain a large stockpile of enriched uranium and added that Washington would take it from Iran in one way or another. According to him, once the material is obtained, it may be destroyed.
The ABP Live report, citing ANI, also said that 20 Iranian sailors who were on a vessel earlier taken under US control returned to Tehran on Thursday through Islamabad after diplomatic efforts involving several countries. The vessel reportedly had 11 Pakistani and 20 Iranian nationals on board.