New Delhi: A cow in Karnataka paid a heavy price for being worshipped. She had to undergo surgery to remove a gold chain she had accidentally swallowed.
Srikanth Hegde and family living in Heepanahalli, Sirsi Taluk, Uttara Kannada district own a 4-year-old cow and a calf. On the eve of Diwali, during the Gow Puja ceremony, the family bathed the cow and calf and performed puja.
They put a gold chain weighing 20 grams around the calf’s neck. They later removed it and kept it along with flowers and other items before the cow. In a matter of minutes, the gold chain went missing. The family started looking for the chain all over. They searched the cowshed as well until the family got suspicious that the cow might have swallowed the chain. While they were away for a moment, the cow might have just swallowed the chain along with the flowers kept as offerings, News18 reported.
For 30-35 days after the incident, Hegde’s family checked the dung of the cow and calf religiously every single day, but were disappointed to not find the chain. Finally, they went to the veterinary doctor for help. The doctor used a metal detector to confirm the presence of metal inside the cow’s stomach. Later a scan was done to spot the exact place in cow’s tummy.
At the family’s request, the cow was operated on surgically and the gold chain was removed. The chain was stuck inside the stomach of the animal. The chain now weighs 18 grams since a small bit of the chain remains missing. The family is relieved to get their gold chain back — but upset the animal had to go through all the ordeal.