Latest Breaking News India

Centre Releases Rs 2427 Cr To 11 States For Sanitation & Drinking Water

New Delhi: The Central government on Friday released Rs 2427 crore for solid waste management, drinking water supply and other services to the urban local bodies (ULBs) of 11 states including Odisha.

The Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance released the amount as first instalment of tied grants for 2021-22 to the Non-Million Plus Cities. Of the total grants, 40% is basic (untied) grant and the rest 60% is tied grant, as per the recommendation of the 15th Finance Commission.

While the ULBs can utilise the basic grants for location needs except payment of salary and establishment expenditure, the tied grants are meant for ensuring delivery of basic services. Of the tied grants, 50% is earmarked for sanitation including solid waste management and the rest for drinking water, rainwater harvesting and water recycling.

The Ministry has told the states to transfer the grants to the ULBs within 10 working days of the receiving it.