Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday announced that Article 370 will be scrapped and Jammu & Kashmir reorganised into an Union Territory with law and order, land with the Centre.
What is Article 370?
- According to the Constitution, Article 370 gives J&K the authority to function as an autonomous state with “special status” provisions.
- The article isolated the state from the country in all matters except defence, foreign affairs, communication and finance.
- There were separate laws applicable to the citizens of Kashmir.
- Indian citizens from other states cannot buy land or property in J&K or get a state job.
- The centre can’t declare financial emergency or any kind of emergency without consulting the state government unless there’s a war or aggression from an external entity.